Fifth-Ranked Men's Soccer Wins Seventh Straight SCAC Title

Fifth-Ranked Men's Soccer Wins Seventh Straight SCAC Title

Georgetown, Texas - The fifth-ranked Trinity men's soccer team finished in a 1-1 tie with Southwestern (TX) University in Sunday's Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference Championship game, but the Tigers secured the conference title by winning 4-2 in penalty kicks.



In a game that would eventually be decided by penalty kicks, it was a pair of penalties in regulation that resulted in both of the goals.

Brady Johnston converted his penalty shot in the 25th minute to put Trinity ahead 1-0 and that score held for just over 64 minutes of game action. Southwestern's Jake Swonke tied the game with a PK of his own with just 1:23 remaining in the game, temporarily keeping the home team's hopes alive in the conference final.

Trinity finished the first half with eight shots on offense and yielded just four to Southwestern in the opening 45 minutes. The Tigers had two shots saved in the first 14 minutes of action, then Ryan Hunter knocked his attempt off the crossbar in the 20th minute to keep the game scoreless. 

The goalkeepers were busy in the first half as both teams combined for nine saves in the first half of action, but the Johnston PK was the only score. The teams had 11 combined shots that included six on-target attempts, but again, it was only the last-minute penalty that resulted in a score.

In the first overtime, Trinity had the only three shots in the 10-minute period. Johnston's header 45 seconds into the extra frame was saved, then his header in the 97th minute missed wide right.

Trinity's Diego Gonzalez had the best chance to win it for the Tigers, but his shot in the 95th minute hit the post and the score remained tied.

Each team had one on-target attempt in the final overtime period, but both shots were saved and the game went to a shootout.

Southwestern missed its first two attempts in the shootout, while Quentin Van Der Lee and Andrea Codispoti both converted their tries to put Trinity in control 2-0 after two rounds.

The Pirates made their third kick in the shootout, but Gonzalez kept pace by making his as well.  

In the fourth round, Southwestern connected again, but Johnston clinched it by burying another kick from the spot to give Trinity a 4-2 shootout win.



Today marked the first time since 1992 that the SCAC Championship was decided by penalties, and it is also Trinity's first of 21 overall conference titles to be won by PKs.

The Tigers are now 15-1-3 this season, while the Pirates are 11-5-3 following today's double-overtime draw.

Brady Johnston scored his eighth goal of the season, which is tied for the second-most among Tiger players. It was also his second goal by way of a penalty kick. Johnston was also the clinching score during the penalties to decide the SCAC Championship.

Johnston, who was named the SCAC Defensive Player of the Year earlier this week, earned the SCAC Tournament Offensive Most Valuable Player award after today's performance.



Trinity secured the SCAC's automatic bid to the NCAA Playoffs with the win and will await tomorrow's NCAA Selection show to find out when and where the Tigers will next play.