#3 Trinity Men’s Soccer Shuts Out Johnson & Wales

#3 Trinity Men’s Soccer Shuts Out Johnson & Wales

Denver, Colorado - The third-ranked Trinity men's soccer team concluded its regular-season slate with a 6-0 Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference victory over Johnson & Wales (CO) University Sunday afternoon.



The Tigers wasted no time getting on the board in this game, as Quentin Van Der Lee converted a penalty kick for the eventual game-winner in the seventh minute.

Ryan Hunter ensured a 2-0 halftime lead for Trinity after heading in a cross off the foot of Rodrigo Castillo in the 32nd minute. 

Trinity outshot the host team 10-2 in the first half and did not allow a shot on the mark.

The Tigers clumped three scores together in a span of just over two minutes to put the game out of reach, beginning with Austin Michaelis assisting Fraser Burns in the 64th minute.

Castillo needed just over a minute to notch the first of his two goals in the game, which were separated by a mere 55 seconds.

Vetle Masvaer Halle finished off the scoring with his goal in the 80th minute, scoring from two yards out on an assist from Burns.

The Tigers led the Wildcats 19-5 in total shots and 11-0 in shots on goal.



The Tigers stand at 14-1-2 overall and 12-1-1 in the SCAC, and Trinity had already clinched the SCAC regular season title heading into the weekend. Johnson & Wales dropped to 7-9-1 and 5-9-1 in conference play. 

Sunday's game was the eighth shutout of the season for the Tigers.

Quentin Van Der Lee's fourth goal of the season was also his first game-winner of the year.

Rodrigo Castillo's two goals were his first of the campaign, also marking his first career multi-goal game.

Ryan Hunter produced his sixth goal this year, while Vetle Masvaer Halle and Fraser Burns each scored their third.

Burns, Castillo, and Austin Michaelis each can claim three assists in their columns.



The top-seeded Tigers will receive a first round bye and take on the winner of the Texas Lutheran University and University of Dallas (TX) match at 11:00 a.m. in Georgetown, Texas.