#17 Tigers Rally to Earn 2OT Draw With #3 Chicago

#17 Tigers Rally to Earn 2OT Draw With #3 Chicago

San Antonio - A thrilling top-20 showdown between third-ranked University of Chicago (IL) and the 17th-ranked Trinity men's soccer team ended in a 3-3 tie.



Trinity rallied from a two-goal deficit on two separate occasions to earn the tie, scoring the equalizer in the 75th minute.

Chicago opened the scoring in the ninth minute to jump in front of the Tigers, then scored again less than 10 minutes later to put Trinity in a rare two-goal hole.

With just over three minutes left until the half, Trinity made its fourth corner of the period count as the Tigers scored in the 42nd minute to cut the lead in half. Andrea Codispoti started the play with his corner to the far post, which was headed by Roman Cano back across the face of the goal, and then was buried with a header from Vetle Masvaer Halle.

Despite losing some momentum heading into the half, Chicago was able to hang on to the slim lead early in the second period. The Maroons then scored another goal in the 60th minute to reclaim control of the game with a 3-1 lead.

Just under 10 minutes later, Jacob Hallenberger drew a foul in the box to set the Tigers up with a penalty attempt, which was converted with ease by Austin Michaelis.

After a foul by Chicago, Quentin Van Der Lee sailed a free kick into the box, but Chicago was unable to clear it fully, and Michaelis ripped a shot into the back of the next to tie the game in the 75th minute.

In the first overtime period, both goalkeepers recorded saves in the first two minutes, then Trinity's Blake Lieberman made another midway through the period to keep the game going.

Trinity was unable to produce a shot in the second overtime and all three of Chicago's attempts were off the mark.



Trinity moves to 1-0-1 after a weekend against two top-20 opponents. The Tigers defeated #19 Rutgers-Newark on Friday, while Chicago is also 1-0-1 on the year, having beaten Southwestern (TX) University 1-0 to start the year.

Tonight marks the first draw for the Tigers since the 2013 season, as well as the first time Trinity tied a home game since doing so twice in 2012.

Austin Michaelis recorded his seventh career multi-goal game, and the Tiger senior has led the team in goals each of the past two seasons.

The two teams were virtually even on the 41 shots taken during the game. Chicago held a slight 21-20 lead in overall shots, as well as an 11-8 advantage in shots on goal.

Blake Lieberman recorded five saves in his 65 minutes in net, allowing just one goal.

Vetle Masvaer Halle scored his first goal of the year and the fourth goal of his career, while Andrea Codispoti picked up an assist for the second straight game to start the season.



Trinity remains at home for another weekend of action, beginning with Friday night's 6:00 p.m. matchup against Hardin-Simmons (TX) University.